Our Rich History
Luminex was founded in 1994 with a focus on corporate data storage solutions. Since that time, Luminex has achieved award-winning growth while remaining consistently profitable. Solving real customer problems with valuable solutions is part of our DNA.
Luminex delivers on our commitment to enable mainframe customers to have seamless access to the broad range of storage products and innovations already available for other environments.
Luminex’s Channel Gateway solutions are the only product lines of their kind to truly unite the Mainframe and open systems storage technologies. Read more about Luminex’s industry-leading mainframe virtual tape solutions here.
In 2000, Luminex acquired and merged the Data|WARE product line and technical staff into the Luminex family. Then again in 2002, Luminex acquired and merged the Polaris product line and technical staff into the Luminex family. These acquisitions, coupled with intensive investment in R&D, has enabled Luminex to deliver a formidable family of mainframe storage and connectivity solutions, backed by nearly 30 years of continuous mainframe engineering and technical support. Today, our mainframe solutions are OEMed, certified and/or resold by every major mainframe manufacturer. We believe this speaks volumes about our commitment to advancing the technology and about our mainframe expertise.
Luminex solutions are used by several of the world's leading and most innovative companies and agencies in the industries below, including some of the world's Top 10 banks and retailers.
- Local and Federal Government
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
Luminex has built our reputation as a valuable and strategic partner with customers in industries such as these that require only the best performance, features quality and reliability.
Heritage of Innovation
Luminex is a recognized leader in disk-based virtual tape solutions. Through its innovation and customer-driven product development, Luminex was the first vendor to enable many of the technologies used in modern mainframe virtual tape solutions today, including:
- 2005: 1st to enable tape encryption
- 2006: 1st to enable compression combined with deduplication using DataStream Intelligence™
- 2008: 1st to enable shared infrastructure for storage and replication of mainframe tape, DASD and open systems
- 2008: 1st to provide 8Gb FICON for virtual tape
- 2009: 1st & only major virtual tape vendor to directly provide tape migration services without third-party contracting
- 2010: 1st to provide replication monitoring at the VOLSER level using RepMon™
- 2011: 1st to deliver wire-speed FICON performance with CGX product release
- 2012: 1st vendor to enable cloud storage for mainframe tape
- 2013: 1st to provide truly scalable continuous availability with Luminex Synchronous Tape Matrix
- 2014: 1st to provide cost-effective mainframe virtual tape vaults as an alternative to physical tape vaults
- 2015: 1st & only to provide an On-Demand Authorized Disaster Recovery Center (ADRC) model, allowing customers to immediately switch from tape vault services to full-featured DR
- 2015: 1st & only to provide off-host physical-to-virtual and physical-to-cloud conversion of 3490 and 3590 archive tapes
- 2016: 1st & only to leverage virtual tape for sharing and off-host processing with Mainframe Data Integration